Well I did exactly what I said I would do and dived straight in there and started free motion quilting without practising first! Gulp! shudder!
I didn’t sew over my fingers but did have a few choice words said when there were just a few tension problems on the back of the quilt. I persevered and did a lot of ripping but the end result was worth it!
It’s not perfect but it’s my first fully quilted project and I love it!
I was looking for a new sewing project when I saw a post on the facebook page Quilt a long with Pat Sloan of a roll and zip up kit bag. It looked just the thing for a take anywhere mobile office or sewing station.
I had found my next project: the Bionic Gear Bag, a pattern by Ripstitcher. Little did I know just how addictive this pattern is! I am now on my way to making a second
My first attempt at the pattern, which comes with the most amazingly detailed instructions which makes it really easy to follow, was made using Jennifer Paganelli’s Jenny Eliza fabric which is an exclusive range for Joanns.I’m now considering making several more of these for Christmas presents, it’s such a versatile pattern, my husband wants one for all his electrical bits and pieces and I’m thinking a slightly longer one would be great for my friend who’s into knitting and crochet. Then there’s the one in Oilcloth for a make up bag and hey presto you unzip to reveal your dressing table when away from home! The possibilities are endless.
I’ve not been blogging much of late but I have been busy sewing! Thanks to the wonderful Pat Sloan I have been globetrotting around the world (metaphorically speaking) and taking part in Pat’s mystery online quilt BOM, which I now know stands for Block Of the Month!
With a new block issued each month and representing a different city in the world, I especially loved London, Pat taught those of us new to quilting how to construct the blocks and we in turn were in awe of the wonderful works created by the experienced quilters in the group.
I certainly learnt a great deal, not least the importance of fabric pattern! There I was fairly smug with myself for having chosen some wonderful colours that all went together I hadn’t given pattern a second thought. That is until I saw how some of my block designs disappeared into one another as the patterns fought side by side!
I resisted the urge to rip it all apart and reconstruct, instead decided to carry on as originally planned and then in years to come it will remind me (hopefully) of how far I have developed as a quilter. Quilter! dare I call myself a quilter at this early stage!
I’m now plucking up the courage to actually quilt it, I have a free motion quilt foot for my sewing machine which I have never used and really should practice first and watch some you tube videos but somehow I think I will more than likely just dive straight in!
It’s been a while since I last blogged, everyday life, family and work has taken up a lot of my time recently with little spare for sewing, although I did manage to finish one of my UFO’s (unfinished object) a round cushion using the wonderful fabric from Jennifer Paganelli’s Lucky Girl line.
It started off as a perfect circle but ended up slightly flower shaped!
It was the first time I have used piping cord and attaching to a circle of fabric was not easy. Learnt a few lessons, like you really need to use the right foot on your sewing machine, I believe, having read up on a few blogs after I had finished, that a zipper foot is the way to do it!
I was also given a really good tip from the lovely Jennifer Paganelli herself who said cut a circle of material then appliqué the segments on top, that way you get perfect points!
Instead I did it the hard way by taking the Quilters approach and sewed together each segment individually much like a patch work quilt hence the button, which isn’t just for decoration but hides a magnitude of not so perfect points!
The button is another lesson to be learnt, I really should have sewed it right through to the other side as it then gives that plush pushed in look in the middle of the cushion, needless to say mine looks like it’s stuck on top!
That said I still love it and it’s really comfortable. It brings some lovely colour to my garden furniture, all we need now is the sunshine.
I’ve just fallen in love with this delicious little bow clutch. It feels so elegant to hold and feels really secure on your hand.
I found a tutorial at Art Gallery Fabrics and decided to add my own little touch by quilting the main purse.
I used FreeSpirits McKenzie Leaves for the bow and interior lining and McKenzies Blossom for the purse exterior both of which I bought from Lady Sew and Sew. I’m really pleased with the finished look and am now thinking of making one in the peach spring colours. If I do I’ll let you know how it turns out.
It’s been a busy few days doing the rounds of visiting family for Christmas, eating far too much and not getting any where near enough exercise. All this excess guilts me into making those New Years resolutions to eat more healthily and get fit! That said there are still a few more days before we see 2014 in so I will carry on hoovering up the chocolates and peanuts until then!
In between eating I did manage to get some sewing done over the holidays, whilst I was waiting for the turkey to cook on Christmas morning my dear husband asked me if I could make a cable bag, for all his gadgets, out of an old pair of cargo pants. Secretly pleased that I could legitimately cut up the cargos (they were always a pain to iron, especially the leg pockets) I cut out both the pockets with a 1cm seam allowance and sewed them together to make a pouch with ready made pockets.
I added a button and ribbon tie to hold the main compartment together and edged the inside with some ribbon I bought at the Knitting and Stitching Show. I now have my eye on his beige cargos as I quite fancy a cross body bag in the same style!